export to CAD and 3D

So from LiDAR to QGIS and now to Autocad and Blender. I've managed to export files whilst retaining height data; Blender (using sh...

So from LiDAR to QGIS and now to Autocad and Blender. I've managed to export files whilst retaining height data;


Blender (using shapefile .shp)


Autocad (using DXF)

The process is, how does one say, a pain in the arse. QGIS was not built for 3D. 

There's a way to do this via command terminal. However, if you work in an office where you need "admin" clearance of some sort, that technique may not work (it requires referencing system files). 

So I messed around until I could find a way inside QGIS (eventually through a built in plugin called GRASS). I'm still unsure how I got there. In my mind, what I want is simple (LiDAR > GIS > CAD and 3D). But, each field is a profession on to its own; the GIS people, the CAD people, the 3D people. Knowledge inside each field is strong. Knowledge in-between them is thin.



You Might Also Like

0 comments